While carrying a watermelon home from the grocery store, I was struck by how similarly sized the watermelon and my tummy were, so I decided it was time for a picture. In the background you can see the humble beginnings of our yearly vegetable garden! Matt has done all the work so far because of a little problem with a cat who used our garden area for a litterbox over the winter when it wasn't covered with snow (who would have thought we needed to keep the fence up all winter to keep the cats out?! I guess the warm weather and no snow made for a lot of happy cats). Because of a little illness called toxoplasmosis, pregnant ladies aren't supposed to come in contact with litterboxes and their...how shall I say it...waste. Toxo is usually pretty harmless to adults, but can be nasty for unborn babies. So, Matt is the master gardener this year and is doing a fabulous job! We're growing tomatoes, cucumbers, red and yellow peppers, jalapeno peppers, peas, beans, spinach, carrots, radishes, cilantro, and basil. Can't wait for things (including this baby) to be ripe and ready!
Charlotte trying out the watermelon for her own tummy!
We went strawberry picking last week just outside Rochester. Misty the stick horse was our faithful companion and was very careful not to trample the strawberry plants.
Charlotte the human was our faithful eater and was careful not to waste any strawberries. At one point she exclaimed, "I'm picking so many strawberries, but I'm eating them all!"
Seven pounds of strawberries (in the box anyway, maybe another few pounds in our tummies)!
Matt made strawberry kabobs. We also made many many strawberry banana smoothies and ate a lot of strawberries in the next five days. Seven pounds of strawberries, to be exact!







2 comments:
Wow!! That's alot of strawberries!! Loved the watermelon baby pictures. Didn't Charlotte tell the Dr. she'll call the baby watermelon?
Next time you can freeze a bunch and then you can have delicious strawberry smoothies during the winter too!
Post a Comment