Thursday, September 3, 2009

Just some funny things Charlotte says and does

A few random things from the past few weeks:

She was putting on a zippered sweatshirt the other day and said to me, "Papa (grandpa) made this." I think she said that because we always talk about the blankets and sweaters that Grandma Carol Ann made for her. I replied, "No, grandpa did not make that sweatshirt. Mama got it for you at a garage sale." She looks up at me with her big blue eyes and says, "Oh, thank you Mama!"

She also really likes to share right now (we'll see how long that lasts). She and I have had a lot of breakfasts and lunches together recently, and inevitably she asks me if I want to share something, which actually means she wants my food, not that she wants to offer me some. But once I share with her, she is more than happy to extend her slobbery little portions with the sweetest "Want to share, Mama?" After that, the entire conversation revolves around saying "Oh, thank you!" for each bite or sip exchanged. Except she can't really say thank you. It is pronounced "Deet doo." It is so sweet, it is one of my favorite things she says.

A couple of days ago she took an apple slice from her plate at lunch and started driving it around the table like a car. She made little car noises and then made siren noises and said "Help 'body" She means "help somebody," which is what we talk about when we hear ambulances/fire trucks near our house. She is beginning to play pretend and develop a little imagination. It is neat to see that develop in her, as we sort of take that for granted as adults. But kids are concrete thinkers for the first couple of years of life, and then around 2 years of age begin to have more abstract thought. She is beginning to use objects for abstract uses (apple slice=car). She also will now pretend things are there that aren't really, such as feeding her doll imaginary food. She also pretends she is a puppy every now and then.

She is into expressing feelings right now. She got shots at her two year check up today, and when we were driving home this evening she told me she was "so sad, Mama." I asked her why, and she told me she was sick from the shots today. I told her she could have some Tylenol when we got home if she needed it (she LOVES Tylenol, but rarely gets it). A few minutes later she piped up from the back seat "Happy now, Mama!"

She has a new outfit I can barely get off of her because she is so in love with it. This week I pulled out a new long sleeve shirt and pants set from a garage sale that I had put in the closet earlier this summer to save for fall. Around here it has been unseasonably chilly (a perfect temperature, if you ask me, but I love fall), and we had to break out some warmer clothes. This particular outfit has little birds on it, and she will not take it off. She calls it her "buhd" shirt (she can't pronouce the "r" in bird). So I think out of the past week, she has probably worn it for at least part of the last 6 days.


She recently learned how to hum the song "Lullaby and Goodnight" or whatever its real name is. She hums it so tenderly to all her babies and her stuffed kitty when she tucks them in to go to sleep. Then she looks up at whoever is nearby and says, "Grandma sings that."

That's about all for now. Maybe some pictures tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting me at the hospital today Charlotte and allowing me to share your slobbery fries! :)
~Daddy

Dan and Jess said...

sam does the same thing with his food! except his are always helicopters or airplanes. :) i love watching their imagination develop!!

Laura said...

That's all so precious! Pictures are a must. I can't believe how much she's grown since I've last seen her!

Anonymous said...

Today I showed Char some pretty leaves on a tree branch and she took it and said fweep. I was puzzled until she started vigorously brushing the ground and said fweeping!( sweeping!) Gramma Cindy

Joy said...

Hey guys! It's fun to read about what you are up to. Any plan to visit Duluth soon? Oh, you should visit www.littleneetchers.com to see our site and pics of our kids. We miss you guys! Maybe we will have to plan a visit. Love and blessings all around.