Thursday, March 19, 2009

Drumroll please......

Today is Match Day, the day all 4th year medical students across the country find out their fate for the next 3-5 years (i.e. where you do your residency). We're going to make you wait until the end of this post to find out where we're going.... :) Here are some pictures of the big day.

Fourth year medical students from the University of MN gather with friends and family for breakfast, speeches, and anxiety.
Matt, Charlotte, and Kristi excited for the big moment.

Charlotte was in love with this little baby, the daughter of a classmate of ours.

At exactly 11am sharp, they released us from our seats to hand out our envelopes with the Match results inside. Here is a brief moment of sanity before ripping open the envelopes.

Charlotte was so excited she could hardly wait.

Happy smiles--we're going to Mayo!!!

Calling Grandma Cindy and Grandpa Mark to tell them we'll be neighbors!

Then Charlotte started running a fever, and she wasn't any fun anymore.

The after-party, where Charlotte fell asleep in the middle of a noisy bar.

To summarize--we're going to the Mayo Clinic for our Family Medicine residency for the next three years! We will be moving down there sometime after graduation (May 2), and potentially living across the street from Kristi's parents, who will be doing daycare for Charlotte. For our Duluth friends who are reading this, today is a little bittersweet. We are happy about going to Mayo, but we are sad not to be coming back up to Duluth as it has always felt like home. But now I suppose it is time to make another new home...the fourth place Charlotte will have lived in her short little life!

Our lives are about to become the sequel to the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond....

10 comments:

Olivia said...

Thanks for updating this so quickly, guys - I've been checking all day! Congratulations on your match, and off to Mayo!

Dan and Jess said...

HOORAY!! Congratulations! I'm excited that maybe I'll see you a little more often, and Charlotte and Sam can finally meet and play together!

Unknown said...

Congrats!! We're happy for you two. Having daycare settled is a huge relief I'm sure. We'll be down there the end of May for Belle, so maybe if you're settled in we can visit you?!! I love the pictures of Charlotte lately - she's getting so big, such a little girl now - no more baby. Hopefully we'll see you soon!

Mikkin and Karl said...

Yeah! So great....it sounds like that being in Rochester will be a real blessing. I am sure you guys will feel so much more confident in your residency with Charlotte with family!!! I am so happy for you :-) Love you guys!

Jenilyn said...

YAY! Congrats on making it through the waiting stages :)

Lisa said...

Woohoo!!

Justin and Laura said...

Aw, babyface is such a big girl now! I have to admit I'm a little sad I won't be around closer to home. Are any other neighbors moving out of their houses?

Magnetic Monkey said...

congrats guys! I'm so glad you guys will be by Grandparent Florecks.

Selfishly I have to ask if this means you are more or less able to come to my wedding, though. :)

Jenny said...

That's so exciting you guys! What a great place to learn...and so nice to be so close to family while Charlotte is still little. We will (and do) of course miss you though!

A Day in the Life of.... said...

Congrats to you guys!!! We are so excited for you. Wow, Mayo that is awesome! (Duluth will be the perfect place to come visit when you are looking for a get away!) Love to you all!