Saturday, June 23, 2007

Almost There!



Still pregnant. Not that we expected not to be pregnant at this point, since the due date is still 2 weeks away. But lots of people are asking, "Are you still pregnant?!" And the answer is yes.
Matt's newest prediction is that the baby will be born next Friday, June 29. That makes it seem a little too real...less than a week from now we could have a baby! I suppose we could have the baby any day, including today! At our appointment on Wednesday, Kristi's doctor, Dr. Kruger, said she doesn't think Kristi will go past her due date since she is so active at the hospital working every day. This is ok with Kristi, since she is getting a little tired of lots of Braxton Hicks contractions (false contractions, the uterus's way of practicing for the real thing) and heartburn. But overall she really can't complain. One thing that did make her sad this week is that she started getting stretch marks. Up until now there were none, however this week they began popping up and making her very sad. Matt reassures her that they are just a part of being pregnant and her body is doing what it was meant to do, but she is still a little disappointed. So close to making it to the end of pregnancy without any stretch marks... Matt, being the excellent husband that he is, made Kristi feel better by drawing stretch marks on himself with a purple marker. What a great guy!












For those of you who were amused with Kristi's 6 pound weight gain in a 2 week time span on the last blog entry, you will be disappointed to hear that she only gained 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks. This brings the total weight gain up to 28 pounds--right in the middle of the recommended 25-35 pound total pregnancy weight gain. (Although with Kristi's recent eating habits, it is surprising she isn't gaining more...)


We are obviously getting very excited for this little one to join us! We have been reflecting on what it is going to be like to have a baby around, but I don't think that we can comprehend the changes in our lives will be like! Not just sleepless nights and poopy diapers, but total responsibility for someone else's life and overwhelming love for a squirmy pink thing. We keep thinking about each thing we do as possibly the last time we do that thing without a baby. The last time we go out to eat in peace and quiet, the last time we go to church without a baby carrier, the last time we sleep (mostly) through the night, etc. People who have kids tell us that in a little while we won't even remember what it was like not to have kids. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or sleep-deprivation induced amnesia...


Pretty soon here there will be a post saying "IT'S A BOY" or "IT'S A GIRL" so keep checking back with us! Let us know if you have any suggestions or advice for the end of pregnancy, waiting for a baby to arrive, labor and delivery, post-partum, or bringing a new baby home for the first time. We are all ears.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa BABY! Here you come. We can see you knocking at Kristi's belly, ready to come out.

Excited to meet you,

Uncle Charlie

Lesley & Wes said...

I don't know why people say that you won't remember what it life was like before you have a baby. Seriously, I remember what it was like...but it was never nearly as rich (and that word doesn't even describe the depth of the feeling you'll have) as it is now. So if you remember the loads of sleep you got before and how easy it was to get somewhere on time, or how simple life was, that's okay, because you'll find out, you wouldn't trade it for the whole wide world!

P.S. I've got to say I think you're going to have a girl (with so many new laddies at church, odds are in your favor for a wee girl - besides Gwyneth needs a little girlfriend to stare at (seriously, I think that's all that constitutes a friendship at the infant age)).

Anonymous said...

wow your belly button is HUGE! so is your belly. i cant wait to see you guys soon, and to meet littlefoot!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. Kristi you look great! I wouldn't worry about the stretch marks. You should be so excited you can still get your old clothes back on! That means all the weight is in the belly and it'll melt away quick. :) I gained weight all over with every one and it never really went away. I have a lot of work ahead of me to get back to how I was before children! Congratulations and I'm so excited for you both. Let us know when you've had the baby. We thought of making a day trip and coming to visit! If it was ok with you guys. Take care and keep us posted.
Love - Jesi

Anonymous said...

Hey me again - I forgot to ask if you are dilated at all? Not that it says much cause I was dilated to 3 and still was induced. But it's always fun to see that things are happening. Also - when I mentioned coming to visit - I didn't mean you had to entertain us. We just wanted to stop by and say hi - meet the baby, then we'd be on our way. I didn't want you to think we expected you to spend the day with us. :)

annetta said...

You still have ankles!!!! That is amazing. Mine would disappear at month 5!

Anonymous said...

Jeepers, haven't you had that baby yet??? :)