

After many concerned friends asked if everything was ok with the baby, we finally decided that it was time to post another blog entry. Everything is fine, so don't worry!
Welcome to the second trimester Baby! We have now entered into the middle third of pregnancy, characterized by an overall feeling of wellness, a growing belly, and that "pregnancy glow." Baby is 13 and a half weeks along, is mostly done forming organs, and now is just getting bigger every day. The major accomplishment recently has been forming boy parts or girl parts. Those are now almost fully formed. If we wanted to know the gender (but we don't), we could tell on an ultrasound in a couple of weeks when Baby is a little bigger. Right now Baby is about 3 inches long! That's a lot bigger than the lentil-sized Baby we were growing not too long ago! Other happenings in Baby: vocal cords are forming, thumbs are sometimes finding their way into Baby's mouth (though the sucking reflex is not developed yet), Baby is developing a neck so the chin doesn't rest on the chest anymore, Baby is practicing inhaling and exhaling movements, and he/she is looking more like a real human baby!
One exciting thing we haven't talked about is our doctor's appointment before Christmas. The highlight was getting to hear that little heartbeat! It was nice and strong at 160 beats per minute. Matt was actually the one who used the little Doppler machine to find the heartbeat! It was amazing to hear Baby's heartbeat; it made it real that there is actually someone in there! If anyone wants to see a video of it, ask Matt to see it on his computer sometime.
Mom: A tiny belly bump has started to emerge, and the stomach-patting by other people has begun. It's funny because I'm really not showing that much, but people still feel a need to touch my stomach... I won't complain though, just one of the quirks of pregnancy I guess. I received my first maternity clothes as a Christmas present from Matt's mom--a fun milestone. So far I don't really need to wear them, but I'm sure that day will come soon.
Dad: Well it was sure exciting to find the baby's heartbeat at our first OB appointment shortly before Christmas. That is very good news for the baby, now that we have entered the second trimester and found a healthy heartbeat, lots of risks go way down. I feel like we have entered a kind of "maintenance phase" of pregnancy now, the initial schock and excitement of the news has faded some, and it is beginning to feel more normal to be expecting. But I still get a touch of the freak-outs whenever I see parents attempting to corral their young ones, and find it difficult to imagine myself in that role. If Justin and Jessica are reading this, that means you! Recently Kristi and I did some browsing of the after Christmas sales in the maternity sections and wow, can you find some nice pants there! I'm thinking of getting a real stretchy pair for those Florek Family Get-Togethers, 'cause if theres one thing the Floreks love to do when they get together, its eat! Right Mom & Dad? It'd be nice to have a pair of pants that lets out a little in the corners. Well, thats about all the news to report for now... Oh, and if you're one of our friends living in Colorado and we haven't heard from you in awhile, make sure you let us know that you've not buried under all that snow! Thanks for keeping up with us.
4 comments:
If your the mom and the dad what am I? the ugly 2cnd cousin that no ones wants to talk about. I am a part of this family too, even if I am the second cousin and I'm ugly, well if you call 220 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal ugly.
now kris, we want you to be involved in Baby's life, no matter how much of an outcast you may be. you and cole can teach Baby how to do the shoulder dance and how to draw/scribble and how to drool like it's your job.
(to everyone besides kris, please know that kris is a very funny good-looking friend of ours. grandparents, don't be afraid of his presence in your grandchild's life.)
hey there! too bad i can't be in the delivery with you :) can you wait until December when I finish nursing school?
Well friends, I am glad to hear things are progressing so nicely - but I do think it's a bit risky to title a Baby Blog post "Long Overdue," don't you? I got to hang out with Bryan and Kristen over New Year's, and it was fun to reminisce about good times at Casa Hogar - made me miss y'all!
Post a Comment