Here's 8 week old Baby Florek!After many demands/requests for another post on the baby blog, we are finally complying. It has been a busy week for us, but not as busy as for Baby! Here's what Baby has been up to recently and what is coming up on the schedule this week.
Biggest accomplishment: Baby Florek no longer looks like an ape or pig embryo! Past 6 weeks he/she now looks like a human baby!
The head is still very big in relation to the rest of the body, but it is now starting to straighten up instead of being tipped all the way forward. The kidneys are functioning and producing urine (medical students, we expect that you understand every bit of this process after Dr. Severson's lectures Tuesday and Wednesday). The stomach is producing gastric juices. The nerves are now sending impulses from the brain to the skeletal muscle and so Baby is moving and active almost all of the time (though it will be some time before Mom can actually feel this). The liver is producing red blood cells now until the bone marrow takes over later. The pancreas and lungs are developing more. Baby has elbows! Hands are becoming recognizable as hands with individual fingers. Feet and legs develop after hands and arms, so they are still fairly paddle-like. Two weeks from now they will have individual toes! Teeth, bones, and cartilage have begun to form. And here is my favorite news from Baby this week: the tongue is beginning to develop! Baby is now about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch long and weighs 1 gram (0.04 oz). As you can see, Baby has been quite busy this week.
Mom: I'm feeling more pregnant than before, which is both good and bad. I'm glad to have some reassurance that I actually am pregnant and not just faking it (I'm not sure how one would fake being pregnant). But on the other hand I don't especially enjoy feeling nauseous several times a day or being so tired I feel like I have mono. So far no puking, which I am very thankful for. It seems to help to eat small amounts of food often throughout the day. My constant grazing (not to mention the fact that I'm pregnant) has led to a well-deserved 3 lb weight gain! Supposedly I'm supposed to gain about 5 lbs in the first trimester (up to week 12), so I have a few weeks left in which I can gain a couple more pounds. We'll try to post another side profile picture of both of us this week to see if you can tell. Other than looking forward to the end of fatigue and nausea, I can't really complain. I'm happy to be a baby incubator.
Dad: So far all our fears about Dad gaining more weight than Mom during this pregnancy are unjustified. This Thanksgiving was full of sitting and snacking which turns out to be a great way to lose 4 lbs! I think I have a tapeworm. Just a throwback to when we were kids and my dad used to tell my brother he was feeding his tapeworm when we consumed more than should be possible. Kristi is sitting next to me now eating chocolate ice cream and wondering why she is gaining weight... its a mystery I guess. Honestly, shes a healthier snacker than I. We bought our first baby clothes last week. This was a big step for us, but we found almost-new clothes at a thrift store and couldn't pass them up for less than a dollar each! We decided this baby is going to be just as cheap (Kristi wants me to say frugal) as his or her parents. We tried to stay away from the "daddy's girl" and "thank heaven for little boys" pink and blue items since we are going to stay in suspense as to the gender of this little one. So we have lots of greens and yellows. I was sad to be told several times during the last week that any man in his right mind would not be hoping for twins, but I'm going to have to have some more convincing before I let that dream die.
Thanks for keeping up with us. We'd love to hear from you in the comments section!
9 comments:
Oh no, I'd want twins too....but wait! I'm not a man! Thanks for the update, guys!
I bought baby some clothes too. I couldn't resist. But they are a certain color. I might have to save it for the next kid. I hope you guys have quads :)
Matt & Kristi,
This is all so thrilling to contemplate, you've even got me using the computer!! Something missing from your site I want to add at this time....
Psalm 139:13-16
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that fully well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your Book before one of them came to be."
Praise God for this new life within you, Love, dad Florek
When are you moving to Denver????
I am not sure who he/she looks like but I think that maybe there is a family resemblance to Matt :-) This is sooooo cool.
This is so fun! I don't know if you guys have been thinking of names yet, but I vote for Marvelous Marvin :) Matt would understand, right Kristi?
Grandpa Mark asked me to weigh in regarding where my parents should RPAP because my parents earlier said, and I qoute: "..grandparents, this is your time to lobby for your town!" Sooo...
Top 10 reasons Baby Florek wants to live in/near Owatonna next year (and you thought I wasn't paying attention to this blog):
#10. Being further south the weather is milder and I won't get overly cold (my delicate, fragile, baby-smelly body and all)
#9. Mom and Dad you'll have an Indian restaurant close at hand in Rochester! Yum - I think some of the flavors will pass through to me when I have a little "snack" :-)
#8. Grandpa and Grandma Brodhun will say: "We'll take care of Baby Florek - you won't have to do a thing. We'll do everyting! We promise! Please! PLEASE! With sugar on top? And an Amiga! PUllllease? Pullllease?"
#7. Those pack rat Brodhuns still have their old kids toys laying around I want to try out (swing set, toy piano, doll house, "Let's get to work" tractor and a very large assortment of books! etc.)
#6. If Canada attacks we'll get a head start fleeing to Mexico where mommy and daddy would love to be anyway.
#5. The Brodhuns can come to baby sit even when big snow storms hit - they have snow shoes to come take care of me! We'll make snow angels and snow sausages (if Scruffy comes)
#4. You won't have to hear the brodhuns whining about why we are sooooo far away.
#2.Mom/Dad you could avoid gym dues because you could go to the Brodhuns to cut, split and haul firewood (a huge savings for you! - yes I might be tending towards being cheap; oops I mean frugal as my parents are. Must be in the genes?)
(Baby Florek can't count if you paid attention to the numbering above - I'm only 8 weeks old so what do you expect?)
And the #1 reason baby florek wants to live near Owatonna...
I love the color apricot!!! -
Click here to see!
(But then again I know I'll Really love grandpa and grandma Florek and would miss being close to them! This is such a hard thing for a Baby Florek to think about... Mom and dad - you have to figure out what if best for all of us!
Hey the kid can't even play fetch! What's all the fuss about?
Oh I forgot to give this to you Kristi and Matt.
Mr Shivers' blog here
Don't expect me to add much to my blog - People say I'm lazy but it takes all my time. Sigh...
Post a Comment