Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A couple more...

Yesterday Charlotte was crying hysterically over a helium balloon from the grocery store that popped in the car on the way home. We were sympathetic at first, but when she wouldn't stop crying, we had to bring on the tough love and we had her stand on the front porch with the door closed. We told her she could come back in the house when she was done crying. She cried and cried, then opened the door with tears streaming down her face. She could barely get a word or two out between big heaving sobs and that weird gasping breathing that happens when you've been crying for a long time.
"Mama, (sob, gasp) I just need (gasp) to tell you (sob sob gasp) something. When I'm (gasp gasp) crying like this? (gasp sob) It means (sob sob sob) that I just need (gasp sob) a little snuggle." (sob sob sob)
We couldn't decide whether to feel like terrible parents or laugh at the pitiful innocence of it all. Even though we were the ones she was mad at for not getting another balloon, we were the ones she wanted to comfort her in her sadness.

Yesterday in the car she was playing with a set of dollhouse dolls, who happen to be a grandma and grandpa. :) Who makes grandparent action figures?! She explained to me that they were fighting.
Grandma doll: I want a gray house!
Grandpa doll: I want a black house!
Grandma doll: Well, I want a gray one. We should compromise!
Grandpa doll: (with kind of a disbelieving voice) How do you compromise about that?!
Grandma doll: Well, we can each have a house.
So they go off to their own separate houses....
Grandpa doll: Knock knock, can I come in to your house?
Grandma doll: No, this is my house!

So much for compromise!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

For some reason your blog was deleted from my blog list so I missed the last four posts :( I love seeing the belly pics. Charlotte is such a funny kid! I laughed about the grandparent dolls. Hilarious!

Hannah Calhoun said...

I love these stories! I can just picture her saying these things. Miss you guys lots!