Kristi: It was my birthday was on Friday. Unfortunately I had to be on call for hospital Pediatrics. A birthday I won't forget....
Woke up too early for a birthday, and too early for breakfast in bed (though Matt did sing "Happy Birthday" at 5:45 am in bed).... Started a new rotation where I don't know what is going on or how to do anything.... Admitted a bunch of sick kiddos to the hospital..... Got a bunch of phone messages all day from friends and family wishing me a happy birthday.... Did a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) on an eight year old at midnight.... Took care of a baby who was having respiratory distress and almost had to send him to the Intensive Care Unit.... Quick ran over to the other hospital across town to deliver a baby at 2 am while my senior pediatrics resident watched the sick kids for me..... Went back to the other hospital and admitted another sick kid to the hospital.... Didn't sleep a wink.... Ate the delicious birthday bars my mom sent with Matt for a middle of the night snack as I wrote my notes, then some more for breakfast as I continued to write notes, then some more for lunch as I was still writing notes.... Still at the hospital.... Everyone on my team now finds out it was my birthday yesterday (since it is now April 3) and wishes me a "Happy Birthday" and comments on how it's too bad I had to be on call on my birthday.... Finally finish work and walk home in the sunshine.... Crash into bed at 2 pm.... Happy Birthday to me!!! Hopefully many more birthdays to come, but hopefully not too many more like this....
No comments:
Post a Comment