Highlights include no 515 rod portages like last time (thanks a lot Joshua), catching and eating a couple dozen beautiful smallmouth bass and some northern pike too, meeting a friendly black bear on the portage, and lots of deep blue sky and cold, open water. Enjoy!






6 comments:
re: "and cold, open water"
I just heard on the radio they recovered the body of a man from Iowa today in the BWCA. Canoe overturned yesterday in lake two and his partner made it to shore be he did not. I'm sure the cold water this time of year can be a very dangerous factor if you overturn. I'm glad you all made it back safely.
-Mark
I can't believe you're posting on your daughter's blog! Selfish man. :) A 515 rod portage is about 514 rods too many, I'm thinking. ha. Which portage was that? How long is it in comparison to the Grand Portage (whose length I forget)?
Yes, last September my friend Joshua and I (he is the one in the blue shirt in the pic) did a nasty, rocky little 515 rod (a rod is approximately a canoe length, 16.5 feet) portage called the "Jap Lake Portage," aka "Paulsen Lake Portage" from Jap lake to Sea Gull Lake. The "Grand Portage," aside from being a border town name, is an 8.5 mile portage up the Pigeon River on the border of Minnesota and Canada that the Chippewa used to use to get from Lake Superior to the inland lakes. It is not part of the BWCA. Check it out at
http://www.grandportage.com/index.html
Our portage was just over 1.6 miles, small by comparison, but still a long way to carry your boat and all your belongings!
As far as the cold water goes, yes it was horribly cold. After cleaning a mess of smelly fish I jumped in the lake for about 30 seconds and it was just about the most painful experience I've had! I can't imagine having to swim to the shore to save your life...
That's why we always make sure to sit on our life jackets.
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/][img]http://sopriventontes.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]educators discount software, [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]sell used computer software[/url]
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]nero show time[/url] windows xp activation office 2003 bypass product key
autocad tutorial [url=http://sopriventontes.net/]2004 Mac Retail[/url] to purchase computer software
[url=http://sopriventontes.net/]oem software agreement[/url] vista business oem software
[url=http://tonoviergates.net/]adobe photoshop cs3 brushes[/url] adobe web premium cs3 photoshop building twain menu items
software for academic research [url=http://tonoviergates.net/]office 2003 crack[/url][/b]
Post a Comment