Friday, March 23, 2007

Spring is Coming!












Little Foot continues to grow this week. At this stage of the pregnancy Baby is just growing growing growing! It is difficult to know exactly, but he/she probably weighs about 1.5 pounds and is about 14 inches long. It is starting to get crowded in the uterus!
Baby has fingernails and hair now (maybe we've already announced that, but I can't remember). He/she is working on forming the first poop, called meconium, in the intestines. This will hopefully stay in the intestines until after Baby is born, otherwise it can be a problem for Baby's lungs (obviously breathing in or swallowing your poop is not a good thing). Baby is big enough now that you can hear the heartbeat with a stethoscope--you don't need that special doppler thing in the doctor's office. Matt can even hear it just by putting his ear next to Kristi's belly if Baby is positioned up next to the surface! Recently, Baby likes to "freak out" every once in a while, where he/she flails his/her arms and legs and does some complicated swimming movements in rapid succession. This is startling and hilarious to feel and watch! We are having fun interacting with Little Foot--we like to push back on feet and hands when they poke out, and Matt talks to him/her all the time.

Mom: The belly is growing surprisingly fast. Every time I walk past the mirror I am surprised at how far it sticks out. And speaking of sticking out, my belly button has decided that it doesn't want to be an innie anymore. It visibly sticks out through some of my shirts...I am afraid for how far it will stick out by July 7! I have been feeling good, with just a little heartburn now and then. This is common in pregnancy when the uterus starts crowding out the stomach and pushing acid up into the esophagus. Other than that, I'm just feeling pregnant! I've pretty much transitioned to all maternity clothes now. Thank you to all the friends who have shared theirs with me!

Dad: I enjoy our pregnancy. I think Kristi should always be pregnant. Always. Grandparents, get ready for lots of babies. Just kidding, but seriously, its exciting to see the changes developing in Kristi and the baby every week. I have been reading through some information on deliveries and learning how to coach a successful delivery and create a birth plan and what-not. Things need to be learned such as: the different stages of labor, what the uterus is doing during each stage, the causes of different aches and pains in the laboring woman and what I can do to help eliminate them, different body positions for labor/delivery, relaxation and breathing techniques, and the like. I am excited for this opportunity, but its a little intimidating for the both of us. Any suggestions from experienced parents??? Thanks for continuing to follow our pregnancy during the "plateau stage." If you are reading this now, you are one of the dedicated ones! By the way, don't forget to make your BabyPool predictions! (see previous post for instructions)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, where are the belly pictures?

Lisa

Matt and Kristi said...

We have chosen not to post "belly pictures" this week because we are visiting Kristi's family (that includes you, Lisa) next weekend and we want them to be surprised with how big the belly has become. If we post a picture of the belly, it will not be as entertaining to surprise them! Sorry to all of you who have inquired about the lack of pictures this week. Better luck next week.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, boy, are they in for a HUGE belly! We lucky classmates get to see you grow every single day. Grow, Littlefoot, grow!

Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see the belly! I havent seen you guys in so long!